Palikir, Pohnpei. [Yap Congressional Delegation Office] May 11, 2017. During the opening day of the new 20th Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia, Congress in reorganizing its leadership elected to retain Senator Wesley W. Simina of Chuuk as Speaker, and Senator Florencio Singkoro Harper of Chuuk as Floor Leader. Senator Esmond B. Moses of Pohnpei was elected by the august Congressional body to serve as the new Vice Speaker of the 20th FSM Congress.
Senator Joseph J. Urusemal and Senator Isaac V. Figir of the State of Yap were also appointed to retain their Chairmanships on the Committee on Education and the Committee on Ways and Means respectively.
The Chairmanships on the other Standing Congressional Committees also included the appointments of:
- Senator Paliknoa K. Welly of Kosrae as Chairman on the Committee on External Affairs;
- Senator Ferny S. Perman of Pohnpei as Chairman on the Committee on Health and Social Affairs;
- Senator Robson Romolow of Chuuk as Chairman on the Committee on Judiciary and Government Operations;
- Senator David W. Panuelo of Pohnpei as Chairman on the Committee on Resources and Development; and
- Senator Victor “Vicky” Gouland of Chuuk as Chairman on the Committee on Transportation and Communications.
Having now been organized, the 20th FSM Congress will continue its First Regular Session for twenty days, ending on May 30, 2017. The Session may be extended or shorted by a Congressional Resolution.
To follow the deliberations on the various measures before the 20th FSM Congress during this First Regular Session, please visit the FSM Congress Website.