Palikir, Pohnpei. May 11, 2015. The Nineteenth Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) this morning, in the opening day of its First Regular Session at the Nation’s capital in Palikir, Pohnpei, elected Senator Peter M. Christian as the new President of the Federated States of Micronesia, and Senator Yosiwo P. George as the new Vice President of the Nation. President Christian and Vice President George will succeed exiting President Emanuel Mori and Vice President Alik L. Alik.
The new Congressional body also organized the national legislative leadership by electing Senator Wesley W. Simina as the new Speaker of the Nineteenth Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia, Senator Berney Martin as the new Vice Speaker, and Senator Florencio Singkoro Harper as the new Floor leader.
The Chairpersons of the seven FSM Congressional Standing Committees were also appointed this morning:
- Senator Joseph J. Urusemal as Chairman for the Committee on Education (E);
- Senator Paliknoa K. Welly as Chairman for the Committee on External Affairs;
- Senator Bonsiano Fasy Nethon as Chairman for the Committee on Health and Social Affairs;
- Senator Tiwiter Aritos as Chairman for the Committee on Judiciary and Government Operations;
- Senator David W. Panuelo as Chairman for the Committee on Resources and Development;
- Senator Victor Vicky Gouland as Chairman for the Committee on Transportation and Communications; and
- Senator Isaac V. Figir as Chairman for the Committee on Ways and Means;
FSM Supreme Court’s Associate Justice Beauleen Carl-Worswick administered the Oath of Office to the new President and Vice President, and all the Members of the Nineteenth FSM Congress, including the two freshmen senators, Senator Robson Romolou and Senator Ferny Perman.
The opening day of the Nineteenth FSM Congress’ First Regular Session was witnessed the by the packed Congressional chamber with notable presence of the Traditional leaders, State and National leaders, the Diplomatic Corp, and family and friends of the newly elected national leaders.
The Nineteenth FSM Congress will continue with its 20 days First Regular Session unless shortened or extended by Congressional Resolution. For more information on the Nineteenth FSM Congress, please visit www.fsmcongress.fm or contact the Congress Public Information Office.